A review of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - Henry


 Ender's game is a sci-fi novel by Orson Scott Card published in 1985. While it seems quite old for a sci-fi novel, it's a true classic and one of my favorite sci-fi novels. In this blog, I will talk about why I like this book so much and what made me want to constantly revisit this book.

In Ender’s Game (1985), a little boy named Andrew ‘Ender’ Wiggin is recruited by the International Fleet for its Battle School, a training school for the best children in the world so that they can meet an alien invasion that’s just around the corner. Ender is short but tactically brilliant and a great leader, and he quickly learns how to take orders. He also learns how to obey his masters, who lie manipulatively to him at every turn. His brilliance and gifts tend to come with loneliness and isolation, as he begins to “win” battles and get promoted in his training. The alien threat becomes his playground. Of course it wouldn’t be a military sci-fi novel if young genius Ender didn’t wreak total destruction on his opponents, which is what he does in the novel. It becomes a little hazy though, as he commands a fleet in a final simulation where he wins the war against the aliens, only to find out — as we do — that those ‘simulations’ were really the wars, and he had accidentally destroyed the aliens’ home world. Stricken with guilt, he travels to a new planet to colonize with other former Battle School students, as he seeks a way to make amends by planting the egg of an unborn Hive Queen (alien leader) who's planet had been destroyed by Ender.

The reason I like Ender's game so much is because it seamlessly weaves together two elements that i found very interesting in the book: the unusual integration of military strategy in sci-fi and the deep moral dilemmas that this book is willing to dive into. The novel's depiction of tactical warfare in a futuristic setting such battle simulations and strategic planning always feels fresh and interesting even if it isn't my first time reading it. This is one of the only books I've read that combines Sci-fi with lots of military tactics. However, what truly captivates me is the ethical ambiguity surrounding Ender's journey. His moral struggles and the consequences of his decisions prompt me to wonder the nature of leadership, sacrifice, and the true cost of victory. As I follow Ender's story, I find myself constantly thinking deeply about the ethics of war and the individual's responsibility within larger systems. It's this thought-provoking combination of military intrigue and ethical exploration that makes "Ender's Game" a book I deeply appreciate and continue to return to.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Sci-fi but can't seem to find a good book to read because this book, despite it's age, has a very fresh and unique feel to it. 9/10

-Henry


Comments

  1. Hey Henry, I actually love this book. It is probably one of my favorite sci-fi books of all time. I honestly don't know why there is a second novel, I think that this book alone is perfect! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Henry. I remember picking up Ender's Game when I was in 3rd grade. And then nothing else about it... (I don't think I read it) But now after reading this post, I can tell that I had missed out, as this sounds like something I would be interested in. I was wondering why the rating is 9/10 for this book instead of a 10/10 with all the positive aspects you have provided. Great post and nice to see you write about something other than the Legend book series again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yuto, I gave this book a 9/10 instead of a 10/10 because this novel is a little bit old and might not be for everyone. For people who do enjoy these books, I believe it would be a 10/10 for them.

      Delete
  3. Hi Henry. I remember seeing a movie on a similar topic and I believe its called war games, and I really enjoyed it so I might have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Henry, I've never heard of this book before but by reading your blog you ignited inside of me that urges me to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Henry, I have heard a lot about this book, but never actually knew what the plot was, haha. As a big fan of sci-fi, the way you describe it makes it sounds very fascinating so I may just have to check it out at some point. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Henry! I loved Ender's Game when I first read it (I have no clue when, but it was a while back), though I didn't understand why Ender felt bad when he killed all the buggers - didn't they deserve it? At least that's what I thought when I was younger; maybe now if I reread this novel I might have a drastically different opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anthony, I believe Ender felt bad because he not only killed the invaders, but he also committed genocide and wiped their whole planet.

      Delete
  7. Hi Henry, Enders Game sounds like a cool book and I will check it out. I've also been looking to read some sc-fi books so this will Definitly be something I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars vs Harry Potter by Henry G

Akata Warrior: A bad sequel to a bad book

The Fault In Our Stars: A review by Penny R