Books I will read over the summer - Abby Bello

 



While this list may be slightly unrealistic for me because I will have a very busy summer this year, I am trying to read more, and will attempt to read as many books as I can. Most of the books I will mention I have discovered through social media or friends and they are similar to some of my favorite books and movies.


Beach Read by: Emily Henry

This book is similar to the movie “Ten Things I Hate About You”, a modern day reenactment of the Shakespear play: “The Taming of the Shrew”. “Beach Read” tells the story of two authors going from rivals to lovers after they encounter each other at the beach. In their writing they don't normally see eye to eye but once they get to know each other more they find the beauty in their differences and fall in love. 


The Virgin Suicides by: Jeffrey Eugenides 

Although I already started this book and watched the movie I could not finish the book because of the slow start and big differences to the movie. I hope that over the summer I can come back to it with an open mind! This novel follows the tragic story of the Lisbon sisters, who take their own lives one by one in a wealthy and seemingly “perfect” neighborhood. While being narrated by a group of the neighborhood boys, the novel explores the mysterious and haunting events leading up to the sisters' deaths, as well as the impact their lives have on those around them. 


A Child Called 'It' by: Dave Pelzer

This book has some pretty heavy content but it was recommended to me by a friend who had to read it for school. I later saw it being talked about on the internet so I hope I can get a chance to read it. This book is a true story and memoir of the author and his recollection of his childhood experiences of abuse and neglect at the hands of his alcoholic mother. The book vividly portrays his resilience and survival instincts as he endures this suffering and cruelty. Despite the trauma he endured, his story ultimately shows his courage and resilience to overcome this abuse. 


Song of Solomon by: Toni Morrison 

Another book recommended to me by a friend! This book follows the journey of Macon "Milkman" Dead III, a young African American man in search of his family's history and his own identity. This novel is set around the Civil Rights era, and explores themes of race, class, and self-discovery as the main character adventures from his hometown of Michigan to the South. 


I hope to do lots of reading this summer but unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen. I just need to get off of my phone. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️


Comments

  1. Yo Abby! This sounds like a great list! Lots of variety! And I believe you'll be able to get through them! Also If you have time, I'm gonna totally recommend Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe to you! It's an absolutely amazing book that I would rerereread if I could! Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abby! I have been trying to figure out what books I'm going to read over the summer. I know we have pretty similar tastes so I think that you making this has definitely helped me make my list! I was especially interested in Beach Read because I absolutely love ten things I hate about you. Thanks for your list, and have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars vs Harry Potter by Henry G

Akata Warrior: A bad sequel to a bad book

The Fault In Our Stars: A review by Penny R