Heartless: Book Review by Penny R.

   

Summary

    The book Heartless by Marissa Meyer is a modern adaption of the classic fairy tale, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. 

    The story begins with a girl named Cath, or Lady Catherine. She loves to bake, and she has secret dreams of becoming a baker. She's the daughter of the Marquess and Marchioness of Hearts, and friends with many of the royals. Her problems start when she shows up to a black-and-white ball wearing a bright red dress. Yet again, the King asks her to dance, but she's utterly repulsed. Suddenly, the lights shut off and a clever Joker begins to preform tricks for the crowd. Cath is delighted, until she hears a rumor that the King will propose to her, tonight. When the King gets up on stage, she panics and runs away, feeling light-headed. The last thing Cath remembers is fainting in the hands of the Joker.

    When she wakes up, she meets the Joker, whose real name is Jest, and finds he's charming and kind. She can't stop thinking about him after the ball. When she gets home, her mother is terrified and tells Cath about the Jabberwock that swooped in after she left, destroying everything. The Jabberwock is from the kingdom of Chess, a faraway kingdom. It's not a good sign that monsters from another world are entering Hearts, which is a very blissful land. That night, Cath can't think of anything but Jest, dodging in and out of her dreams. In the morning, she's snapped back to reality when the King invites her to play croquet. She has an amazing time, mostly because Jest is there. Late that night, the King shows up at her front door, asking for a courtship.

    She says yes because she knows this is what's best for her family, planning to avoid the King as much as possible. That night, Jest shows up at her bedroom window, begging to whisk her away. Wanting nothing more, she says yes, and Jest whisks her away to meet Hatta, an eccentric friend of Jest's.

    In the moment, she doesn't realize what this means: she's now dating two men. As time goes on, she begins to separate two lives: what she wants, and what's best for everyone around her. She wants to live in a bakery with her maid, Mary Ann, and marry Jest. This is what she fantasizes about at night. But by day, the King sends her flowers and poems relentlessly, while the Jabberwock roams Hearts. If she marries the King, she has the opportunity to save Hearts and rule wisely, pushing her dreams aside. Cath is stuck with an impossible decision: what will she do?

Review

   I thought this book was pretty good! The idea of a villain origin like that was really fun, and I loved the romance. The details were very precise, and I liked all the characters and pointers toward the original story. However, I didn't think it built up enough suspense, and it felt more focused on the romance than the plot. As for morals, I noticed the idea of the future being out of Cath's control, and I think it made the book feel more real. If you're looking for a fun story or you've read other books by Marissa Meyer, I'd definitely recommend! Rating: 7/10.





Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I agree, I like how you gave a ?/10 rating so I can compare to future books that you review.

      Delete
  2. I see many books revolving around the romance between characters. Do you know how recent Heartless was published?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was published in 2016, so kind of awhile ago.

      Delete
  3. I've heard of this book before and it seems really interesting by the way you reviewed it! I might have to look into actually reading it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Penny, this books sounds like a very interesting twist on a classic book. Personally, I'm not too big of a fantasy person, but judging from your review, this book sounds pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Penny! I personally love fantasy books and your summary of the book is really well detailed and informational. I may have to check this book out! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed Marissa Meyer's previous book series, the Lunar Chronicles, so maybe I'll also enjoy this one! I'm at an interesting point with my taste in YA novels, but maybe once my interest returns to lighter fantasy and romance, I'll take a look. Great review, Penny!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars vs Harry Potter by Henry G

Akata Warrior: A bad sequel to a bad book

The Fault In Our Stars: A review by Penny R