To All The Boys I've Loved Before: Review by Penny R

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han is an adult romance novel that is famous around the world. Over time, it has turned into a trio of famous movies from the original trilogy, highlighting Lara Jean and Peter’s romance. This book is the favorite romance book of a lot of my friends, so about a month ago I finally got my hands on a copy and began to read.

Lara Jean is something of a quiet kid at school, and she really enjoys baking. She’s not the most socially important person, which she’s okay with. When her sister Margot goes off to college, she breaks up with her boyfriend Josh after remembering her mother said not to date any boys when you go off to college, because it can ruin the experience. This is an idea that's present in Lara Jean's mind for the rest of the series. Lara Jean also has a crush on Josh, which only grew when Margot broke up with him.

The next day, Lara Jean gets a ride from Josh, saying she's dating someone and not to worry about the letter he got from her. When he asks who it is, she sees Peter and runs to kiss him. This was a really impulsive decision on her part, but one that kickstarted any thoughts of a relationship for both of them. Lara Jean and Peter begin to fake date, making a contract to seal the deal. Lara Jean wants to save herself from embarrassment with Josh and be more adventurous, while Peter wants to make his ex-girlfriend Genevieve jealous. The rumors spread really fast and and cause a lot of controversy at school.

As they spend more time fake dating, they begin to like each other. Lara Jean spends less time thinking about Josh and smiles at Peter's notes, makes him cookies, and introduces him to her family. Peter introduces her to his friends, makes friends with her little sister, and carefully asks about the other people she sent notes to. Over time, this sense of romance only progresses.


I thought this book was adorable and a solid beach read if you like romance. It was very relaxing and easy to read, and the author paints an aesthetic, cute picture. It does have a lot of drama in it, but there's a lot of cute moments between Lara Jean and several different boys. In addition, there are aspects of Korean culture that are really interesting to read about. This series is actually a trilogy, so there are two other books in the series if you really like the content. It was pretty unrealistic, but in a sense that added to the relaxed aspect of the story. I didn't really like how millennial this book felt, because it was kind of cringy. Regardless, it's still a nice beach read and I would recommend reading it!


8/10





Comments

  1. Hey Penny! I've seen this book around quite a lot but I didn't really know what it was about so when I saw your blog I knew I had to check your blog out! I think you did an amazing job describing the book; I finally know what I can expect if I do read the book. I guess I might just have to check it out! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny, I had a friend in Middle school who enjoyed the series, but I never actually knew the premises of the book until now. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Penny :D. Whoa, this book sounds like a super fun read! Personally, I feel like the idea of a fake date is such a silly and unfeasible concept, but at the same time, they are so cute and fluffy to read. I would definitely check this book out sometime. You've written a great blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Penny! I watched the series a couple years ago and kind of forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me about how there are books that I could read. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Penny! I loved this movie for a while and it was nice to hear your opinion on the book as a former fan :). Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars vs Harry Potter by Henry G

Akata Warrior: A bad sequel to a bad book

The Fault In Our Stars: A review by Penny R