The Fault In Our Stars: A review by Penny R

 The Fault In Our Stars by John Green is a YA fiction novel about healing, romance, and illness that is known worldwide and has sold over 23 million copies.


The book opens by introducing Hazel, the main character. Hazel has just gotten over life-threatening thyroid cancer and has severe depression. Her mother asks her to go to a support group with other cancer survivors, where everyone quickly introduces themselves and begins to talk about their experiences. These support group sessions usually turn out to be the same every time. One day Isaac, a boy in the support group, brings his friend Augustus. Both boys had cancer around the same time and have been friends for a while. When they're walking outside, he tells her she looks like the gorgeous celebrity Natalie Portman. At this point, I started to love their relationship and how worry-free it seemed; like the epitome of teenage love.


Augustus and Hazel continue to talk, and at a point in the conversation, Augustus pulls out a cigarette. Hazel is appalled and asks him why he would do something that could kill him, and he shows her it isn't lighted. The idea of having something right between your teeth but not giving it the power to kill you is a major metaphor for this book.


As the book goes on, we learn about Augustus and his life and who he is as a character. We also learn more about Hazel's home life and the world around both of them. They bond over many deep ideas and imagine different scenarios. Augustus planned romantic dates and brought Hazel out of her comfort zone. It really felt like he was the person who made her life into something special, which any reader would enjoy reading. To me, their whole relationship felt very romantic. I think the main commonality in their relationship, though, was their experience of cancer. Cancer is an always-present theme in this book, which I like because of how realistic it is. It's one of the main reasons why I think this is such a good book.


The other reasons I like this book so much is because Hazel became more confident as the book went on. It really helped her to have people who were there for her, and I think Augustus was definitely a big part of that. It gave her a shoulder to lean on, which was instrumental in minimizing her depression. I loved watching their relationship develop because I really felt for the characters and what they were going through, and because I understand the feeling of finding someone who reminds you you're not alone. I won't spoil the ending, either, but it was one of the saddest things I've ever read.


Personally, I really loved the realistic writing and the feeling of connecting/ sympathizing with the characters. I read this book a couple years ago, but rereading it really made me appreciate what an amazing book this is. I would recommend The Fault In Our Stars to anyone looking for a good read. I consider it a simply written but touching book, with a great plot anyone would love. 10/10!




Comments

  1. Hey Penny! I read this book a while ago and I agree that this is also one of the saddest books I've read, but still a wonderful story. Your blog is very well structured and gives a good sense of what kind of book this is without spoiling too much. In the end of your first paragraph, I really liked the way you incorporated the Natalie Portman comment. It perfectly describes their "worry-free" and relaxed teenage love. I also liked the section right after it talking about the significance of the cigarettes and what they symbolized. Overall, I enjoyed reading your well-written post that portrays this novel well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Penny, I loved your book review. I also loved your prespective of the emotional aspects of the book. I haven't read this, but the way you described the two's romance made me interested. I also like that you mentioned the different people adding to the plot and pushing it forward.Thannks for not spoiling the ending too!! - Ava Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Penny! This sounds like a really interesting book to read, and is very realistic. I think that it could easily become very sad to read, but you make it seem like the book is more like finding the light in the darkness. I might have to add this to my to-be-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Penny! After wrestling with my memory for a good 10 minutes, I realized that I was joking on tuesday and I actually haven't read this book before. Nonetheless, I am a huge fan of John Green's novels (especially Paper Towns!) I love how he uses trauma and cancer to connect two lovers together, since a relationship is about being there for each other during the tough times just as much as when everything is going smoothly. Also, the fact that you said the ending is one of the saddest you've ever read makes me think that Augustus dies... I guess I'll find out once I read this book! Thanks for the recommendation :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Penny, my mom read this book a few months ago and really enjoyed it, so I will definitely check this one out! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Penny :D, this is an amazing book review! John Green's books are always so touchy to read. I remember picking up this book (and loving it) at the beginning of summer this year, but then I went on an international trip so I never really got to finish the book. Your book review makes me want to pick it back up again :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard of this title before, but have never gotten to reading it. I think there was some sort of movie that came out on this book because I think I heard of this exact title somewhere else. I think the plot that you described on this book makes it seem like a unique read for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard about this book a lot but never knew what it was about. The storyline seems very interesting, and so I will definitely have to check it out! Thank you for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked the detail where Augustus pulls out a cigarette but doesn't light it, showing that he has something right between his teeth but he doesn't give it the power to kill him. I don't think I've ever read a book by John Green, but this might be my first. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard people talk about The Fault In Our Stars a lot, but I've never read a review of it before. I like the idea of the two characters bonding over something that affects a lot of people and can traumatize them, whether directly or indirectly, like cancer. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars vs Harry Potter by Henry G

Akata Warrior: A bad sequel to a bad book