The Outsiders By: S.E Hinton Blog By: Abby Bello


 

 The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton is a coming-of-age novel that is set in a small country town in the 60s and explores the lives of two social groups, the Greasers and the Socs. Ponyboy Curtis is both the narrator and main character of The Outsiders and his experience helps show the raw challenges these kids have to face to escape their society’s standards. Identity, friendship and the loyalty the greasers have for each other all play an important role in this novel. 

I believe that the character development in this novel was very well written and shows how each member of the Greasers deals with their own struggles. Because they are such powerful characters they allow the readers to form a deep connection with them and their stories. The novel explores themes of social class by showing the environment these teenagers grow up in, adding depth to the book. This allows the readers to think about parallels to these issues in real life and better understand the world. The writing style in this novel is very engaging, and just makes you want to read more  making it a great novel for any age to read. 

I really enjoyed reading this book and also watching the movie to go along with it. The movie features some well known actors such as Tom Cruise (as Steven Randle) and Ralph Macchio (as Johnny). I think that the theme of this novel is the reason I like it so much. It shows the importance of friendship and loyalty and how they can hold friendships together. . This book is extremely hard to summarize without spoiling but please read it and watch the movie. It has a very good message and is a fun read!!! 🐺


 






Comments

  1. Abby this review was really good! I first read this book in 7th grade and watched the movie too. It was really great I forgot most of the characters but I do remember the general plot of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book in middle school. I agree that the casting of the movie was also done very well and fits with the characters nicely. overall, it is nice to see that lots of other people enjoyed this book as much as i did :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abby! I have never read this book before, but it seems interesting! I'll be sure to read it in the future (and maybe watch the movie???) Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Abby! I am genuinely surprised at how many people told me that they have read this book! Looking at your review and the retellings I have heard from others it really seems like I am missing out both on the book and the movie. Thank you for such a detailed review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Abby! We went to the same middle school, so we read this at the same time. I rememer just how much I loved the book and how I always wanted to know what would happen next. I also loved the friendships made and the movies. Thanks for bringing up the pleasant memories from 7th grade lol😜

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Abby, I remember referencing this book in a play that I was in a while ago. Reading this review, I see why this book was referenced with the exploration of social class.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars vs Harry Potter by Henry G

Akata Warrior: A bad sequel to a bad book

The Fault In Our Stars: A review by Penny R