Hatchet: A Disappointing Novel (With Spoilers) - Abdurrahman

  As a new member of this blog group, I wanted to skim the blogs my new blogmates posted and read a few. While doing so, one blog caught my eye: a book review of Hatchet by my fellow blogmate, Alberto. As I read his exhilarating review of the book, I immediately added this book to my to-be-read list, and here I am with a review of Hatchet. Today, for the first time ever, I am sad to proclaim that my review is mostly a dissatisfied one of Hatchet.



Hatchet, by Gary Paulsen, was published in 1986. It begins with thirteen-year-old Brian Robeson riding a tiny plane above the Canadian forests, on a trip from New York to visit his father in northern Canada. Suddenly, the pilot he’s sitting next to suffers a fatal heart attack and, soaring above the wilderness at 70,000 feet, he’s alone in a dreadful situation. After the miraculous survival of the crash, which sends the plane deep in a lake, Brian must learn the way of the caveman. With only a hatchet from his mother and the resources around him, he navigates the unforgiving struggles of living in the wild.


Given this summary, you might be really excited about this book, quivering with anticipation on your seat. And I don’t blame you. When I first read about Hatchet from one of Alberto’s previous blogs, I was excited to learn about a young boy’s struggles living in the forests for an extended period of time, expecting mind-boggling, near-death experiences with imminent starvation, wild monsters, illnesses, and an attractive plot. However, I had set my hopes too high.


For the hunger Brian experienced, Gary Paulsen only says that Brian is hungry; he doesn’t show it. Given that there were some long times when Brian barely ate, Paulsen should be describing the feeling of intense rumbling and pain in his stomach. Although Brian does feel a longing for food back home, it doesn’t effectively show the reader the agonizing pain of imminent starvation.


As for “wild monsters,” I was expecting Brian to encounter a load of dangerous animals, like bears and wolves given that he was deep in the wilderness. Surprisingly and disappointingly, Brian only sees one bear that, for some reason, didn’t attack him for his meat, and just left him alone. If I was the author who wanted to utilize every opportunity to make the story more interesting, I’d make the bear attack Brian so the reader is hooked. There was a moose that deliberately tried to kill Brian, but his experiences with it were ephemeral.


I’m surprised Brian didn’t fall ill in Hatchet. He drinks water from a lake. That doesn’t sound very safe. He also eats from his resources, like fish, birds, rabbits, and berries, which all luckily don’t carry any diseases or parasites. It just kept reminding me how unrealistic the story was.


There was also the plot. It was very dull, devoid of any major events that contribute to a climax. Heck, there wasn’t even a climax! As I got closer to the end of the story, I lost all motivation to read it. The book ends so abruptly and incompletely that it finally convinced me to write a negative review of Hatchet.


Although I was overall very disappointed with the book, there were some nice aspects that helped bolster my motivation to read Hatchet. It was fascinating to see how Brian managed to build his shelter and create his arrows, bows, and campfire. It was also intriguing to see the different methods he used to hunt for food. I discovered that an important moral from Hatchet was that mistakes are crucial to your learning. Brian makes critical mistakes that almost cost his life, but after each one, he learns something vital to his survival. Hatchet can be considered as a coming-of-age novel, where Brian develops and practices many skills throughout his time at the woods.


I believe Hatchet isn’t one of the better books I’ve read. The negative aspects, which outweighed the positive ones, deprived me of a lot of interest while reading this book. I have to emphasize that there are positive features of the story, but they aren’t profound. Nevertheless, if you want to read Hatchet, go ahead–I’m not stopping you. Just don’t set your hopes too high like I did. The rating I’d give is a 6.75/10.


Comments

  1. Hi Abdurrahman. I read this book in 5th grade and I remembered enjoying it somewhat. However, if I had a little more common sense, I would probably not have enjoyed it as much. I enjoyed reading your different reasons for why the book is unrealistic and dull. Although some parts of the book such as the fact that the bear did not attack Brian may be for accuracy (bears actually don't eat meat that much and instead eat food sources such as berries) or maybe just because Gary Paulsen didn't think it would be realistic to survive a bear attack. Even so, I agree that there could have been some more "wild monsters" such as wolves (that are actually on the cover picture of some versions), to make the story more interesting. Great blog post as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abdurrahman, I've actually had this book on my "to-be-read" list too for a while. Until now, I have only heard good things about this novel so the title of your blog caught my eye. I noticed that this post seems to be more targeted towards readers who have already read the story, and as I haven't read it yet, I didn't recognize the details you were discussing. Thanks to your descriptions however, it was still easy to catch on and understand your arguments. In the future if I do get around to reading "Hatchet", I will think about the many praises this book has earned as well as your contradicting views. I'm glad that I came across your post because after reading it, I'm actually more excited to experience the plot and see what my own thoughts on it are (and give it my own very specific rating). Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Abdurrahman, although the review is quite untraditional considering how highly noted Hatchet is, all the points you made were completely valid and I 100% agree with them. I read the book and liked it, (although it was a long time ago, I also preferred a simple read back then which could explain why I liked it) but I would agree the writing is quite lackluster and can get pretty slow. I would agree with your ~7/10 rating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abdurrahman, I tried reading Hatchet when I was middle school and gave up after about 20 pages. I appreciated seeing a negative review of Hatchet considering how popular it is. I can also feel how you saw the potential for an interesting plot, but the book just didn't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that having a book with multiple chances to raise the stakes and never doing so certainly decreases its readability. Also, writing a story saying something very literal, like "Brian is hungry" would be a letdown in a book I would have high hopes for. This was a very well-written review (unlike the book apparently) and I hope you find a more enjoyable book to read in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Abdurrahman. I read this book in fifth grade. Going into it, I was less than excited to read it. I typically don't read "thrillers" I guess you could call it. And I was pleasantly surprised. Since I haven't touched the book in four(?) years, I only have vague memories to go off of, but here we go! I really enjoyed reading most parts of it. I agree that the climax was very not-climax-ish, and that some parts seemed fantastical, but I thought the plot was otherwise very well written, and the important scenes were captivating. But it was interesting hearing your thoughts in what might be the first negative book review I've read this year. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Abdurrahman, glad to see you liked my review on the book. Sad to see you did not enjoy the novel, but you make some great points in this blog. I'm not sure if I mentioned this in my blog already but my teacher in 3rd grade read this book to my class and I enjoyed it a lot. But now that I have grown I can definitely see your disappointments with this novel. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that this book wasn't very interesting Abdurrahman. I started reading this book one time for some online summer camp that my mom forced me to do and the book just didn't catch my interest. But this blog post sure did! One thing I do want to mention though is it would make some sense that the bear didn't attack Brian because humans aren't killed by bears that often in a years time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars vs Harry Potter by Henry G

Akata Warrior: A bad sequel to a bad book

The Fault In Our Stars: A review by Penny R